Students First Office > Academic Advising > Requesting a Course Overload

 Regular Business Hours
 Monday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
 Tuesday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
 Wednesday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
 Thursday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
 Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

 Walk-in Assistance Hours
Monday, Wednesday, & Thursday:
1:00pm - 3:00 pm

Academic Advising

Requesting a Course Overload

Although 12 semester hours is considered the minimum registration necessary for a student to receive full-time undergraduate status, the majority of students will take an average course load of 15-17 hours each term.

Undergraduates may not take more than 18 hours per semester except with the approval of their assigned academic advisor. To request special permission to take more than 18 hours, you must contact your assigned academic advisor. Requests are granted at the discretion of your assigned academic advisor. The Students First Office only grants course overloads for Exploratory students and students on academic probation.

For Exploratory students, approval to take more than 18 hours requires one or both of the following:

  • A minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA
  • Anticipated graduation within 1-2 terms **

** Please note that course overload requests of 19 hours or more are only approved for students in academic good standing, regardless of a student's anticipated graduation date.

If you are on academic probation and wish to take more than 16 hours per semester, you will need to contact the Students First Office and submit a Course Overload Request Form.

Please see below for additional information about course overloads based on academic unit.

Course Overload Procedures outside the Students First Office (SFO)

Academic Unit


Bryan School of Business and Economics

Complete the Bryan School Majors Course Overload Request form. Forms are processed on a weekly basis and you will be notified of the decision via your UNCG email.

College of Arts and Sciences

Contact your faculty advisor for permission, who will contact the College of Arts and Sciences Advising Center (CASA)
CASA will email you with the decision

College of Visual and Performing

If you are a Music major or a Dance major, email Amanda Hughes ( about your request
If you are an Art major or a Theatre major, email Jennifer Reich ( about your request

School of Health and Human Sciences

If you are a pre-major student advised by the HHS Advising Center, complete the HHS Course Overload Request Form  
If you are advised by other HHS departments, contact your faculty advisor;
You can also contact departmental Directors of Undergraduate Studies with questions

School of Nursing

Email Philip Simpson ( or Britt Flanagan ( for approval

School of

The SOE Office of Student Services processes the overloads; contact your assigned academic advisor for more information


Please note: some files require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.