Students First Office > Faculty & Advisor Resources > Resources for General Advising

  Regular Business Hours
  Monday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
  Tuesday: 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
  Wednesday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
  Thursday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
  Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

  Walk-in Assistance Hours
  Monday - Friday: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
  Tuesday 4:00 pm -7:00 pm

Faculty & Advisor Resources

Resources for General Advising

Click on any of the topics below for more information.

Academic Integrity Violations plus

    The Academic Integrity Policy was created by faculty based on the core values and ideals of practice as recommended by the Center for Academic Integrity. Any violations of this policy are addressed by the Dean of Students Office in the Division of Student Affairs. This office can also provide assistance to faculty members needing to report an alleged academic integrity violation.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit plus

    Students who have completed AP or IB (International Baccalaureate) courses and have received qualifying scores on the AP or IB exams may receive credit for certain courses at UNCG. The University Registrar's Office evaluates AP and IB scores to determine the credit that students will receive. Students should be advised not to take courses for which they have received or think they may receive college credit based on AP or IB scores.

    More information on AP and IB credit can also be found in the UNCG Undergraduate Bulletin.

Advising Codes plus

    Advising codes are six digit numbers that unlock a student's registration session allowing them to add or drop classes during their designated registration time. Each continuing student is assigned a specific randomly generated advising code, which changes every semester. Students are required to obtain their advising code from their assigned advisor or advising center when they are advised in preparation for registration each term.

    How do I access my advisees' advising codes each semester?

    • Login to UNCGenie
    • Select 'Faculty & Advisors'
    • Select 'Advisee List'
    • Enter the current term using the pull down menu

    Faculty can also contact the Students First Office if they need to obtain a code for any advisee not listed on their report. SFO cannot give advising codes directly to students unless they are already registered for the current semester OR can provide documentation that they have met with their advisor for the current term.

Advisor Assignments plus

    Advisor assignments are made either by the University Registrar's Office or by the academic departments. Departments that make their own advisor assignments should contact the University Registrar's Office when advisors have been assigned or when changes in assignment need to be made.

    Students are able to see the name of their departmental advisor in UNCGenie or by visiting the Look Up Your Advisor site.

Declaring or Changing Majors and Minors plus

    Most majors and minors can be declared or changed online. Some majors require students to visit the department first. The University Registrar's Office maintains the online Change of Major/Minor Form and processes all these requests. If a student's desired major is not listed on the online form, they should contact their academic department directly.

Graduation plus

    All undergraduate students are required to file an application for graduation with the University Registrar's Office at the beginning of the semester in which they plan to graduate. The online degree application is available via UNCGenie.

    Regardless of when a student chooses to apply, he or she should be advised to select the graduation term during which he will actually complete all coursework necessary for the degree. For example, if a student wishes to 'walk' with his or her class during the May ceremony but won't actually finish with coursework until the summer he or she should be advised to apply for August graduation.

    Students who do not graduate in the semester for which they file a graduation application must re-file for the next term in which they expect to complete their degrees.

    Any additional questions about graduation or commencement should be directed to the University Registrar's Office.


    The National Academic Advising Association, NACADA, is a national professional organization for academic advisors and faculty advisors. NACADA promotes and supports quality academic advising in institutions of higher education to enhance the educational development of students.

    NACADA provides a forum for discussion, debate, and the exchange of ideas pertaining to academic advising through numerous conferences, activities and publications. NACADA also serves as an advocate for effective academic advising by providing a Consultants Bureau, an Awards Program, and funding for Research related to academic advising.

Study Abroad plus

    Students in good academic standing may study abroad for a summer, a semester, or an entire academic year. There are different programs through which a student may study abroad; some are sponsored by UNCG or the UNC Exchange Program and others are non-UNCG sponsored programs that must first be approved by the UNCG Study Abroad Committee. Summer abroad programs are led by UNCG professors and typically include five or six weeks of study and travel, followed by three weeks of independent travel.

    Students interested in learning more about opportunities to study abroad should contact the International Programs Center.

Transfer Credit plus

    UNC Greensboro's Transfer Evaluation System lists all courses that have been accepted from other colleges and universities. The lists for schools in the North Carolina Community College System are comprehensive. This means courses offered there that do not appear on the list will not transfer to UNCG for credit. (Special note: Transfer course credit for 2Plus programs do not currently appear on North Carolina Community College System lists.) Students who access the Transfer Evaluation System (TES) and do not find the course that they wish to complete for transfer credit should contact Transfer Credit Services in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions:

    Transfer Student Center
    050 Spring Garden Apartments

    The University's Transfer Evaluation System is also the resource faculty use to approve their courses to transfer from other colleges and universities. For more information about TES or to request an account, please contact the University's TES Administrator:

    Richard Titus
    Associate Director of Transfer Student Services


Undergraduate Bulletin plus

    The University Registrar's Office annually publishes the Undergraduate Bulletin, the official catalog of undergraduate programs and courses authorized to be offered by UNCG. Student should utilize the version of the Bulletin that was published in whatever academic year that they declared their current academic major.

    The UNCG Undergraduate Bulletin for the current academic year can be found here.

    Archived catalogs are also available by clicking here.

Please note: some files require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.