Peer Academic Leaders (PALs)
INTERESTED IN BEING A PEER ACADEMIC LEADER?
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!
PAL Recruitment will take place throughout October 2014. The PAL Recruitment Interest Meeting will be held Monday, October 20th, 2014 in McIver 140 from 4-5pm. Come out and learn more about what it means to be a PAL from current PALs and receive details about the application process!
Job Expectations and Requirements
- Each candidate must have at least a 2.75 cumulative grade point average at the time of the application and have completed a minimum of 30 semester hours at UNCG by the beginning of the Fall 2015 semester.
- All Peer Academic Leaders must uphold all academic and discipline standards as defined by the University's Student Code of Conduct and Academic Good Standing Policy. No student may hold the position while on academic or disciplinary probation.
- PALs must complete all required training workshops scheduled in February, March, April, and August 2015.
- Successful PALs have the following:
- knowledge of campus resources
- appreciation for diversity
- strong leadership
- good communication skills
- willingness and ability to model appropriate behavior
- ability to maintain confidentiality
- ability to mentor first-year students
- a love for UNCG
- Serve as an advocate for the interests, needs, and rights of first-year UNCG students
- Help students adjust and become academically successful
- Serve as a mentor for academic, co-curricular, and leadership involvement
- Assist instructor in planning class logistics
- Assist in facilitating class discussions
- Serve as a liaison for student feedback to instructor
- Attend all class meetings for your assigned FFL class
- Maintain confidentiality of students and maintain appropriate relationships
- Assist in coordinating FFL semester events
- Attend all FFL sponsored events
- Teach and facilitate at least one class session
- Conduct 1-on-1 meetings with FFL students during 2nd eight-weeks of semester
- Assist with recruitment and marketing of FFL and PAL Program
The Selection Process
- Applicants must complete and submit the online application by Monday, November3rd, 2014. A link to the application can be found at the bottom of this page.
- Application & Recommendation Process:
- Once the online application is submitted, applicants will receive an email with a link to the online recommendation form. This email should be forwarded to the applicant's recommender. Applicants should have one (1) recommendation form submitted on their behalf.
- Recommenders must be a current UNCG employee. Recommenders must have worked with you as a UNCG professor or UNCG supervisor. Professional references are required. Character references from friends and/or family members will not be accepted.
- This form will only be accepted as a recommendation for all applicants; additional recommendation letters will not be accepted.
- **If you were a PAL in Fall 2014, you must submit 1 recommendation form from the FFL instructor you worked with during the Fall 2014 semester. **
- Interview and Hiring Process:
- Applications will be reviewed and applicants (new) will be selected for individual interviews that will take place in the month of November. Invited applicants (new) must attend an individual interview in order to be considered for a PAL position.
- All applicants, returning and new, will be notified via email of hiring on Tuesday, December 2nd, 2014. Acceptance of positions are due by Friday, December 5th, 2014.
- PAL Contracts will be signed at the PAL Contract Party in January 2015.
***The scheduling of courses is an intricate process that undergoes many changes before being finalized. If the number of FFL course offerings is reduced, some applicants who are selected may not be able to continue as PALs. ***
FFL PAL applications for 2014-2015 will open October 1st, 2014.