Although 12 semester hours is considered the minimum registration necessary for a student to receive full-time undergraduate status, the majority of students will take an average course load of 15-17 hours each term.

Undergraduates may not take more than 18 hours per semester except with the approval of their assigned academic advisor. To request special permission to take more than 18 hours, you must follow the procedure listed below for your assigned academic unit, based upon your current major. Requests are granted at the discretion of your assigned academic advisor.

Course Overload Procedures outside the Students First Office (SFO)

Academic UnitProcess
Bryan School of Business and EconomicsComplete the Bryan School Majors Course Overload Request form. Forms are processed on a weekly basis and you will be notified of the decision via your UNCG email
College of Arts and SciencesTo request overload approval, please contact your advisor. They will need to complete the Registrar's course overload request form on your behalf.
College of Visual and Performing ArtsEmail Jennifer Reich ( about your request.
School of Health and Human SciencesIf you are a student advised by the HHS Advising Center, complete the HHS Course Overload Request Form
If you are advised by other HHS departments, contact your faculty advisor; You can also contact departmental Directors of Undergraduate Studies with questions
School of NursingEmail Philip Simpson ( or Britt Flanagan ( for approval
School of EducationEmail the Office of Student Services & Advising ( for course overload requests
Students First OfficeFor Exploratory students and/or students on academic probation, complete the Students First Office Course Overload Form. You will receive a decision in two business days via UNCG email.

The Students First Office only grants course overloads for Exploratory students and students on academic probation.

For Exploratory students, approval to take more than 18 hours requires one or both of the following:

  • A minimum 3.00 cumulative GPA
  • Anticipated graduation within 1-2 terms **

***Please note that course overload requests of 19 hours or more are only approved for students in academic good standing, regardless of a student’s anticipated graduation date.

If you are on academic probation and wish to take more than 16 hours per semester, you will need to submit the Students First Office Course Overload Request Form.

Please note: some files require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.