Academic Renewal Request


Academic Renewal Request Form (PDF)

Periodically, everyone needs a “do over” and, if you qualify, there are some unique policies at UNCG that might help you achieve that with your academic record. With the Academic Renewal Policy, qualifying students can be granted grade forgiveness in which all previously completed courses in which you earned a grade D+ or below will be forgiven.

Courses and grades will remain on your academic transcript, but the grades and hours earned will be expunged from your cumulative GPA and from your mandated degree requirements.

How do I qualify?

Qualification for Academic Renewal is a 2-step process.

To PRE-QUALIFY, students must meet one of the 2 criteria options listed below:

Option #1

  • Have been formerly enrolled at the University
  • Have less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA
  • Have NOT enrolled at any other institution of higher education (including community college) during the previous year

Option #2

  • Have been formerly enrolled at the University
  • Have less than a 2.00 cumulative GPA
  • Completed 24 hours of UNCG-approved college credit with a 2.50 GPA or higher since their last enrollment at UNCG

If you meet one of the options for pre-qualification criteria listed above, to FULLY QUALIFY for Academic Renewal you must:

  • Be re-admitted and enroll at UNCG
  • Earn a 2.30 GPA for your first 12 semester hours following re-enrollment

Qualification for Academic Renewal can be confusing, so if you think you might be a good candidate, schedule an appointment with an advisor in the Students First Office to go over the policy in more detail. We can also review your individual record to ensure that you meet pre-qualification requirements.

What if I earn fewer than 12 semester hours in my first term back?

If you earn fewer than 12 semester hours in your first term back, that is not a problem.  You will need to wait until you have earned at least 12 hours to submit your academic renewal request form.  Please also keep in mind that in reviewing your request the Academic Renewal Committee will consider the grades for all courses taken while pursuing the 12 hour requirement.  For example, if you earn 9 hours in your first term back and 9 hours in your second term back, you would need to have a 2.30 term GPA or higher for those total 18 hours.

Once I know I qualify, what do I do next?

After you earn a minimum 2.30 GPA for your first 12 semester hours of re-enrollment and complete the requirements to fully qualify for Academic Renewal, the next step is to fill out the Academic Renewal Request Form. The completed form should then be submitted to the Students First Office, 101 Forney Building.

Your request will be reviewed by the Academic Renewal Committee, and upon confirmation of your qualifications, all previously completed courses in which grades of D+ and below were earned will be forgiven. Once your request has been reviewed by the committee and your records have been updated, you will be e-mailed by the committee.

Appeal DeadlineCommittee Decisions
Monday, May 14, 2018 by 5:00 p.m.Monday, May 21, 2018
Monday, June 18, 2018 by 5:00 p.m.Monday, June 25, 2018
Tuesday, July 17, 2018 by 5:00 p.m.Tuesday, July 24, 2018

You can work with an advisor in the Students First Office to estimate what your projected GPA might be following academic renewal or you can utilize the online GPA Calculator.

** Please note that Academic Renewal/Grade Forgiveness can only be granted one time during a student’s academic career and cannot be reversed. Additionally, Academic Renewal cannot be combined with UNCG’s Grade Replacement Policy.

Please note: some files require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.