Students who have returned to the University after Academic Suspension are placed on Academic Dismissal if they fail to meet any of the following requirements:
- Earn a minimum 2.30 term GPA each term until a 2.00 cumulative GPA is restored
- Enroll in and successfully complete the requirements of the ARS 120 course
If you fall on Academic Dismissal, you must sit out for one full academic year (including 1 fall term and 1 spring term). Summer does not count as a term away for the purposes of academic dismissal. You may wish to take courses at another institution, volunteer, or work during this time. You can read more about your options and next steps in this informational guide.
The Students First Office recognizes that there may be times when unexpected and extenuating circumstances affect your ability to complete the requirements returning from Academic Suspension. If this is the case, you may want to consider completing an Academic Dismissal Appeal. If your appeal is approved, you will be granted permission to continue at UNCG. You may also want to explore an Appeal to Withdraw for Extenuating Circumstances if your circumstances occurred or worsened after the last day to withdraw from classes without academic penalty.
Schedule an appointment with the Students First Office to speak with a staff member about your individual circumstances and receive assistance with the appeal process. In addition, SFO staff are available to help you create a plan for academic recovery while you are sitting out for the year and upon your return to the University.
RETURNING FROM ACADEMIC DISMISSAL
Following Academic Dismissal, students must be readmitted to the University prior to enrolling. The process for submitting a Return from Dismissal Appeal has multiple steps and requires advanced planning in order to demonstrate to the Appeal Committee that you will be academically successful if you are permitted to return to UNCG. When you are ready to return to the University, you must:
- Submit a Return from Dismissal Appeal to the Students First Office
- Reapply to the University through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions
For more in-depth information on the steps for submitting a Return from Dismissal Appeal be sure to read the Returning from Academic Dismissal Appeal page in its entirety. Please contact the Students First Office for any questions or to schedule an appointment.
Students who are approved to return from Academic Dismissal are required to meet the following criteria upon return:
- Students are required to participate in and successfully complete ARS 140 during their first semester of re-enrollment. This course engages formerly dismissed students to discover strengths and make informed decisions that will assist in accomplishing academic, career, and life goals.
- Limit semester hours to 16 hours every fall and spring term and 8 semester hours in the summer until Academic Good Standing is restored. While it is possible to take summer courses after at least 1 semester back, students are strongly recommended to consult an advisor prior to registration.
- Earn a minimum 2.30 term GPA every term (including summer) until the cumulative GPA reaches the required 2.00
Failure to complete any of the previously mentioned requirements will result in Academic Dismissal. Students returning from Academic Dismissal who restore a 2.00 cumulative GPA but do not earn 67% of the semester hours will be placed on Academic Warning. Students who meet probationary requirements without restoring the 2.00 cumulative GPA will be placed on Continuing Probation until the qualifications for Academic Good Standing are met.
You can read more about the Academic Standing policy in the University Catalog.