Students who are on Academic Probation will be placed on Academic Suspension if they fail to meet any of the following requirements during their probationary term:

  • Enroll in and successfully complete the requirements of ARS 120
  • Earn a minimum 2.30 term GPA every term until their overall cumulative GPA reaches the required 2.00

If you are academically suspended, you must sit out for one fall or spring term. Summer does not count as a term away for the purposes of academic suspension. You may wish to take courses at another institution, volunteer, or work during this time. You can read more about your options and next steps in this informational guide.

The Academic Recovery team knows that there may be times when unexpected and extenuating circumstances affect your ability to complete the requirements of Academic Probation. If this is the case, you may want to consider completing an Academic Suspension Appeal. IIf your appeal is approved, you will be able to continue at UNCG. You may also want to explore a Course Withdrawal Request iif your circumstances occurred or worsened after the last day to withdraw from classes without academic penalty.

Schedule an appointment with the Students First Office to discuss your individual circumstances and receive assistance with the appeal process. In addition, SFO staff are available to help you create a plan for academic recovery while you are sitting out for the semester and upon your return to the University.

Returning from Academic Suspension

Following Academic Suspension, students must reapply to return to the University through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions*. After readmission, students are required to attend an Academic Re-Orientation meeting with the Students First Office to engage in success planning for their return semester. This meeting will be required before a student can register for courses in their return semester. Finally, students will be enrolled in, and must successfully complete, ARS 120 during the first semester back at the University following suspension. You can read more about the Academic Suspension policy in the Undergraduate Catalog.

 *No academic appeal is required for students to return to UNCG after Academic Suspension. Students who wish to receive Financial Aid will be required to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal to the Financial Aid Office in order to request possible reinstatement of financial aid eligibility.