If you left the University on Academic Dismissal, you must petition the Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal Committee for permission to return to the University. If you receive approval from the committee, you must also meet the re-admission requirements set by Undergraduate Admissions and successfully complete an online Former Student Application.
Please review the Instructions for Returning from Academic Dismissal thoroughly. The process for submitting a Return from Dismissal Appeal has multiple steps and requires advanced planning in order to demonstrate to the Appeal Committee that you will be academically successful if you are permitted to return to UNCG. Students who are approved to return have spent their time away in pursuit of other academic pathways and career opportunities to support their personal growth, improve their academic profiles, and/or make progress toward their professional goals.
Important things to consider prior to submitting your Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal:
- If you have earned fewer than 60 hours at UNCG and have not attended a community college since your dismissal, it is in your best interest to obtain an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree.
- If you attended a community college and earned less than a 2.5 cumulative GPA, it is in your best interest to continue at the community college and work to raise your cumulative GPA.
- If you have previously submitted an Academic Dismissal Appeal or Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal, please be sure you have completed or addressed all recommendations made by the Academic Appeals Committee. The committee will not consider a Return from Dismissal Appeal until you have completed or addressed all previous recommendations from the committee.
How the Return from Academic Dismissal Works
Before submitting a finalized Return from Dismissal (RDS) Appeal, you will be required to submit an RDS Pre-Check packet (letter, documentation, and success plan) via the Return from Academic Dismissal Pre-Check Submission Portal and complete a Return from Dismissal Pre-Check meeting with a staff member in the Students First Office. (See below for relevant deadlines.)
In the Pre-Check meeting, you will:
- Review the information you have included in your letter of explanation to ensure all appropriate details have been provided
- Receive feedback on your documentation to ensure all appropriate materials are included in your appeal
- Discuss how your Academic Success Plan demonstrates your readiness to return to UNCG and ensure academic success
- Develop alternative plans for continuing academic progress should an appeal be denied
Please note that the Return from Dismissal Pre-Check meeting is a critical step in the process to Return from Academic Dismissal. Students who do not submit an RDS Pre-Check packet or complete the required Pre-Check meeting will not be permitted to submit a final Return from Dismissal Appeal for committee consideration.
Once you have completed your Pre-Check meeting with SFO you will then be permitted to submit a final Return from Dismissal Appeal for committee review. When your appeal and accompanying documentation are complete, your finalized appeal packet must be submitted online via the Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal Portal. Steps on how to submit your final appeal will be provided during your Pre-Check meeting.
All students submitting a Return from Dismissal appeal are required to complete a graduation plan. You can use this graduation plan template and these instructions to complete your graduation plan . Please note your graduation plan has to be approved by an academic advisor prior to submitting your appeal. Graduation plans are not required to submit a RDS Pre-Check packet.
Appeals are reviewed once each term. Please click the tabs below to view important dates and deadlines for the upcoming semesters:
*Please note that Return from Dismissal Appeals are only accepted for the fall or spring semesters; materials for summer sessions will not be accepted.
All deadlines and decisions are FINAL and NO EXCEPTIONS can be made.
After the Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal Committee renders a decision about your appeal, you will receive further information via the email you included on your Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal submission from the Division of Student Success. (Please be sure to check it regularly so that you do not miss pertinent updates.)
While advisors in the Students First Office are an excellent resource for helping you prepare your appeal, they do not serve on the committee and will not have any information regarding the committee’s decisions. Once you receive a decision via email, any questions should be directed to the Division of Student Success at firstname.lastname@example.org and will be shared with members of the Return from Academic Dismissal Appeals Committee for response.