If you left the University on academic dismissal, you must petition the Return from Academic Dismissal Appeals Committee in the Students First Office for permission to return to the University. If you receive approval from the committee, you must also meet the re-admission requirements set by Undergraduate Admissions and successfully complete an online Former Student Application.
The Students First Office welcomes you to schedule an appointment with a staff member in our office to discuss your next steps, the best way for you to spend your time away from UNCG, and how to prepare the best appeal for your circumstances. We are here to help and want to see you succeed. Reach out to our office today.
How the Return from Academic Dismissal Works…
Please review the Instructions for Returning from Academic Dismissal thoroughly. The process for submitting a Return from Dismissal Appeal has multiple steps and requires advanced planning in order to demonstrate to the Appeal Committee that you will be academically successful if you are permitted to return to UNCG. Students who are approved to return have spent their time away in pursuit of other academic pathways and career opportunities to support their personal growth, improve their academic profiles, and/or make progress toward their professional goals.
Important things to consider prior to submitting your Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal
- If you have earned fewer than 60 hours at UNCG and have not attended a community college since your dismissal, it is in your best interest to obtain an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree.
- If you attended a community college and earned less than a 2.5 cumulative GPA, it is in your best interest to continue at the community college and work to raise your cumulative GPA.
- If you have previously submitted an Academic Dismissal Appeal or Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal, please be sure you have completed all recommendations of the Academic Appeals Committee.
Before submitting a finalized Return from Dismissal Appeal, you will be required to submit a preliminary appeal packet (letter, documentation, success plan) and complete a Return from Dismissal Pre-Check meeting with a staff member in the Students First Office. (See below for relevant deadlines.)
In the Pre-Check meeting, you will:
- Review the information you have provided in your letter of explanation to ensure all appropriate details have been given
- Receive feedback on your documentation to ensure all appropriate materials are included in your appeal
- Discuss how your Academic Success Plan demonstrates your readiness to return to UNCG and ensure academic success
- Develop alternative plans for continuing academic progress should an appeal be denied
All students submitting a Return from Dismissal appeal are required to complete a graduation plan. You can use this graduation plan template and these instructions to complete your graduation plan. Please note your graduation plan has to be approved by an academic advisor prior to submitting your appeal.
Please note that the Return from Dismissal Pre-Check meeting is a critical step in the process to Return from Academic Dismissal. Students who do not submit a preliminary appeal packet or complete the required Pre-Check meeting will not be permitted to submit a Return from Dismissal Appeal for committee consideration.
Once your appeal and accompanying documentation are complete, your finalized appeal packet must be submitted to the Students First Office in suite 101 of the Forney Student Success Commons or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. It will then be forwarded to the Return from Academic Dismissal Appeals Committee for review.
Appeals are reviewed once each term. Please click the tabs below to view important dates and deadlines for the upcoming semesters:
*Please note that Return from Dismissal Appeals are only accepted for the fall or spring semesters; materials for summer sessions will not be accepted.
Please note that all deadlines and decisions are FINAL and NO EXCEPTIONS can be made.
After the Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal Committee renders a decision about your appeal, you will receive further information via the email you included on your Return from Academic Dismissal Appeal form. (Please be sure to check it regularly so that you do not miss pertinent updates.)
While advisors in the Students First Office are an excellent resource for helping you prepare your appeal they do not serve on the committee and will not have any information regarding the committee’s decisions. Once you receive a decision via email, any questions should be directed to email@example.com and will be shared with members of the Return from Academic Dismissal Appeals Committee for response.