Grade Replacement Request Form

Periodically, everyone needs a “do over” and, if you qualify, there are some unique policies at UNCG that might help you achieve that with some of your classes. With the Grade Replacement Policy, you may repeat certain UNCG courses in an attempt to earn a better grade and then request that the original grade be removed from the GPA and replaced by the grade earned in the repeated course.


How do I know if the course I want to retake qualifies for Grade Replacement?

Courses can be repeated for Grade Replacement as long as you earned a C-, D+, D, D-, or F/WF as your final grade. 

However, there are some exclusions outlined in UNCG’s policy. You would not be permitted to use Grade Replacement for:

  • Courses in which the final grade earned was the result of an Academic Integrity violation, which are recorded by the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities
  • Courses taken in future semesters once a student has applied and been approved for the Academic Renewal Policy
  • Grade Replacement Requests submitted after a degree is conferred

If you are hoping to repeat a course in which you earned a C or higher for your final grade, you must request special permission from the Dean of Undergraduate Studies by emailing [email protected]. In your email, please include the course subject and number for the course you are requesting (EXAMPLE: PSY 121). 

You can also contact an advisor in the Students First Office if you have any questions or concerns about the courses that qualify.  


The course I want to retake qualifies for Grade Replacement. Now what?

After you have confirmed that the course meets the qualifications listed above, you should register for the course in UNCGenie (just as you would if you had never taken the course before). Then, at the end of the semester, after your final grade is posted, you must request the Grade Replacement by filling out the Grade Replacement Request Form on the University Registrar’s Office website.

Your request will be reviewed by the staff in the Registrar’s Office and upon confirmation of your qualifications, the Grade Replacement will be processed. Remember, the grades of all your courses will still show up on your transcript but the original grade/credit hours will be removed from your GPA and replaced by the grade/credit hours earned in the repeated course.

You can work with an advisor in the Students First Office to estimate what your projected GPA might be following grade replacement or you can utilize the online GPA Calculator.

** REMEMBER: You can only utilize Grade Replacement a total of 4 times during your undergraduate career and Grade Replacement cannot be combined with the Academic Renewal/Grade Forgiveness Policy.

Please note: some files require the Adobe Acrobat PDF Reader, which can be downloaded from the Adobe web site.